If you are an Australian or South Korean citizen planning to travel to the United States, you will need to obtain an American visa. The type of visa required will depend on the purpose of your trip, the length of your stay, and your nationality. In this article, we will provide an overview of the different types of visas available for Australian and South Korean citizens, as well as information on the US visa online application process.
American Visa for Australian Citizens
Australian citizens can travel to the United States for business or tourism purposes without a visa for up to 90 days, provided they have an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). An ESTA is a digital visa waiver program that allows travelers from eligible countries, including Australia, to enter the US for short-term visits without a visa.
However, if you plan to work or study in the US, you will need to obtain an American Visa for Australian. There are several types of visas available for Australian citizens, including:
- B-1 Visa for Business Visitors: This visa is for Australian citizens traveling to the US for business purposes, such as attending meetings, negotiating contracts, or attending conferences. It is valid for up to 6 months.
- B-2 Visa for Tourists: This visa is for Australian citizens traveling to the US for tourism or leisure purposes, such as visiting family or sightseeing. It is valid for up to 6 months.
- F-1 Visa for Students: This visa is for Australian citizens who plan to study in the US, either at an academic institution or in a vocational program. It allows the student to remain in the US for the duration of their program, plus an additional 60 days to prepare for departure.
- J-1 Visa for Exchange Visitors: This visa is for Australian citizens participating in an approved exchange program in the US, such as an internship, work and travel program, or research program. It is valid for the duration of the exchange program.
US Visa Online Application for Australian Citizens
To apply for a US visa online as an Australian citizen, you will need to follow these steps:
- Determine the type of visa you need: Use the US Department of State’s visa wizard to determine which visa category you should apply for.
- Complete the DS-160 form: This is an online application form that must be completed for all nonimmigrant visa categories. You will need to upload a passport-style photo and provide information about your travel plans, employment history, and personal details.
- Pay the visa fee: The fee for most nonimmigrant visa categories is $160, which is payable online by credit card.
- Schedule a visa interview: After submitting your application, you will need to schedule an interview at the US embassy or consulate in Australia. The interview is an opportunity for a consular officer to review your application and determine your eligibility for a visa.
American Visa for South Korean Citizens
American Visa for South Korean also have access to the ESTA program, which allows them to travel to the US for up to 90 days without a visa for business or tourism purposes. However, if you plan to work or study in the US, you will need to obtain a visa.